Anil Gulecha wrote:
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Bogdan M. Maryniuk
<bogdan.maryn...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Joe S <js.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
EON ZFS NAS
http://eonstorage.blogspot.com/
No idea.

NexentaCore Platform (v2.0 RC3)
http://www.nexenta.org/os/NexentaCore
Personally, I tried it few times. For now, it is still too much broken
for me yet and looks scary. Previous version is much more stable but
also older. Newer v2.0 looks exactly like bleeding edge Debian old
times: each time you run "apt-get upgrade" you have to use shaman's
tambourine dancing around the fireplace. I don't remember exactly, but
some packages are just broken and can not find dependencies,
installation crashes, pollutes your system and can not be restored
nicely etc. However, when it will be not that broken anymore, it must
be a great distribution with excellent package management and very
convenient to use.

Hi Bogdan,

Which particular packages were these? RC3 is quite stable, and all
server packages are solid. If you do face issues with a particular
one, we'd appreciate a bug report. All information on this is
helpful..
I've done some preliminary patch review on the core on-nexenta patches and I'd concur to put Nexenta pretty low on the trusted list for enterprise storage. This is in addition to the packaging problems you've pointed out. If the issues at hand were not enough when I sent an email to their dev list it was completely ignored. Marketing for Nexenta as Anil points out is strong, but like many other distributions outside Sun there's still a lot of work to go. I'm not sure EON's update delivery, but I believe it's just a minimal repackage of OpenSolaris release. This isn't the advocacy list so if you're interested in other alternatives feel free to email me off list.

Cheers,

./Christopher

--
OSUNIX - Built from the best of OpenSolaris Technology
http://www.osunix.org