So we have a 24x1TB system (from Silicon Mechanics).  It's using an LSI
SAS card so we don't have any hardware RAID virtual drive type options.

Solaris 10 05/09

I was hoping we could set up one large zpool (RAIDZ) from the installer
and set up a small zfs filesystem off of that for the OS leaving the
rest of the zpool for our data.

However, it sounds like this isn't possible... and that a ZFS root
install must be done on a mirrored set of slices or disks.  So it looks
like either way we might be losing out on minimum 2TB (two disks).

Obviously we could throw in a couple smaller drives internally, or
elsewhere... but are there any other options here?

Is this an R505? What I did was to install two 2.5" drives in one of the internal bays. There's an adapter that lets you mount one atop the other. You can then create a mirrored pool on these drives to boot from. You can still have a DVD drive in the other bay, too.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvola...@aecom.yu.edu