On 11 jun 2009, at 11:48, Sami Ketola wrote:

On 11 Jun 2009, at 12:44, Paul van der Zwan wrote:

Strange thing I noticed in the keynote is that they claim the disk usage of Snow Leopard
is 6 GB less than Leopard mostly because of compression.
Either they have implemented compressed binaries or they use filesystem compression.
Neither feature is present in Leopard AFAIK..
Filesystem compression is a ZFS feature, so ????

I think this is because they are removing PowerPC support from the binaries.

I really doubt the PPC specific code is 6GB. A few 100 MB perhaps.
Most of a fat binary or an .app folder is architecture independent and will remain.
And Phil Schiller specifically mentioned it was because of compression.

        Paul