> Did anyone ever have success with this?

> I'm trying to add a usb flash device as rpool cache, and am hitting the same
> problem,
> even after working through the SMI/EFI label and other issues above.

I played with adding a USB stick as L2ARC a few versions ago of SXCE, pre 104.

At the time, I got the same error message, but if I booted to "failsafe" it
would allow me to add the USB device as rpool cache.  Unfortunately, on normal
boot up, the device name had changed on the USB device so ZFS complained.  I
don't recall how I got around that problem.

I found that the USB implementation on Solaris was weak enough that the USB
drive, which consistently read 20 MB/s or so under Linux was hovering around 5
MB/s in Solaris.  Only under extremely random reads did the flash drive help.
In all other cases, it actually slowed down the system.  I assume that a better
USB implementation or a different storage interface would have made it a much
better experience.

Good luck,
Marty