Monish Shah wrote:
Hello,

I would like to add one more point to this.

Everyone seems to agree that compression is useful for reducing load on the disks and the disagreement is about the impact on CPU utilization, right?

What about when the compression is performed in dedicated hardware? Shouldn't compression be on by default in that case? How do I put in an RFE for that?

Is there a bugs.intel.com? :-)

NB, Solaris already does this for encryption, which is often a more
computationally intensive operation.

I think the general cases are performed well by current hardware, and
it is already multithreaded. The bigger issue is, as Bob notes, resource
management. There is opportunity for people to work here, especially
since the community has access to large amounts of varied hardware.
Should we spin up a special interest group of some sort?
-- richard