Hey Kebabber, long time no hear! :)

It's great to hear that you've had good experiences with the card. It's a great
pity to have throughput drop from a potential 1GB/s to 150MB/s, but as most of
my use of the NAS is across the network, and not local intra-NAS transfers,
this should not be a problem. Of course, with a single GbE connection speeds
are normally limited to around 50MB/s or so anyway...

Tell me, have you had any drives fail and had to figure out how to identify the
failed drive and replace it & resilver using the AOC-SAT2-MV8, or have you
tried any experiments to test resilvering ? I'm just curious as to how easy it
is to do this with this controller card.

Like yourself, I was toying with the idea of upgrading and buying a shiny new
mobo with dual 64-bit PCI-X slots and socket LGA1366 for Xeon 5500 series
(Nehalem) processors -- the SuperMicro X8SAX here:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8SAX.cfm

Then I added up the price of all the components and decided to try to make do
with the existing kit and just do an upgrade.

So I narrowed down possible SATA controllers to the above choices and I'm
interested in people's experiences of using these controllers to help me decide.

Seems like the cheapest and simplest choice will be the AOC-SAT2-MV8, and I
just take a hit on the reduced speed -- but that won't be a big problem.

However, as I have 2 x PCIe x16 slots available, if the AOC-USAS-L8i is
reliable and doesn't have issues now with identifying drive ids, and supports
JBOD mode, then it looks like the better choice. It is uses the more modern PCI
Express (PCIe) interface, rather than the ageing PCI-X interface, fine as I'm
sure it is.

Simon