On Jun 21, 2009, at 10:21 PM, Nicholas Lee wrote:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Stuart Anderson <ander...@ligo.caltech.edu > wrote:

However, it is a bit disconcerting to have to run with reduced data
protection for an entire week. While I am certainly not going back to
UFS, it seems like it should be at least theoretically possible to do this
several orders of magnitude faster, e.g., what if every block on the
replacement disk had its RAIDZ2 data recomputed from the degraded

Maybe this is also saying - that for large disk sets a single RAIDZ2 provides a false sense of security.

This configuration is with 3 large RAIDZ2 devices but I have more recently been building thumper/thor systems with a larger number of smaller RAIDZ2's.

Thanks.

--
Stuart Anderson  ander...@ligo.caltech.edu
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~anderson