Hey sbreden! :o)

No, I havent tried to tinker with my drives. They have been functioning all the
time. I suspect (can not remember) that each SATA slot in the card has a number
attached to it? Can anyone confirm this? If I am right, OpenSolaris will say
something about "disc 6 is broken" and on the card there is a number 6? Then
you can identify the disc?

I thought of exchanging my PCI card with a PCIe card variant instead to reach
higher speeds. PCI-X is legacy. The problem with PCIe cards is that soon SSD
drives will be common. A ZFS raid with SSD would need maybe PCIe x 16 or so, to
reach max band width. The PCIe cards are all PCIe x 4 or something of today. I
need a PCIe x 16 card to make it future proof for the SSD discs. Maybe the best
bet would be to attach a SSD disc directly to a PCIe slot, to reach max
transfer speed? Or wait for SATA 3? I dont know. I want to wait until SSD raids
are tested out. Then I will buy an apropriate card capable of SSD raids. Maybe
SSD discs should never be used in conjunction with a card, and always connect
directly to the SATA port? Until I know more on this, my PCI card will be fine.
150MB/sec is ok for my personal needs.

(My ZFS raid is connected to my Desktop PC.  I dont have a server that is on
24/7 using power. I want to save power. Save the earth! :o)  All my 5 ZFS raid
discs are connected to one Molex. That molex has a power switch. So I just turn
on the ZFS raid and copy all files I need to my system disc (which is 500GB)
and then immediately reboot and turn off the ZFS raid. This way I only have one
disc active, which I use as a cache. When my data are ready, I copy them to the
ZFS raid and then shut down the power to the ZFS raid discs.)

However I have a question. Which speed will I get with this solution. I have 2
SSD discs in a PCI slot => 150MB/sec. Now I add 1 SSD disc into a SATA slot and
another SSD disc into another SATA slot. Then I have
5 disc in PCI => 150MB/sec
1 disc in SATA => 300MB/sec (I assume SATA reach 300MB/sec?)
1 disc in SATA => 300MB/sec.

I connect all the 7 discs into one ZFS raid. Which speed will I get? Will I get
150 + 300 + 300MB/sec? Or will the PCI slot strangle the SATA ports? Or will
the fastest speed "win" and I will only get 300MB/sec?