[Adding context]

>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> Why do you assume there is a IO problem?
>> I know my setup is unusual because of the large pool size. However, I have
>> not seen any evidence this is a problem for my workload.
>> prstat does not show any IO wait.
>
>The pool size isn't the issue, it's the large number of disks in each vdev.
>Read >the suggested best practice links.

Thanks Ian.
I read the best practices and undestand the IO limitation I have created for
this vdev. My system is a built for maximize capacity using large stripes, not
performance.
All the tools I have used show no IO problems.
I think the problem is memory but I am unsure on how to troubleshoot it.