David Magda wrote:
On Jun 30, 2009, at 14:08, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

I have seen UPSs help quite a lot for short glitches lasting seconds, or a minute. Otherwise the outage is usually longer than the UPSs can stay up since the problem required human attention.

A standby generator is needed for any long outages.

Can't remember where I read the claim, but supposedly if power isn't restored within about ten minutes, then it will probably be out for a few hours. If this 'statistic' is true, it would mean that your UPS should last (say) fifteen minutes, and after that you really need a generator.
Or run your systems of DC and get as much backup as you have room (and budget!) for batteries. I once visited a central exchange with 48 hours of battery capacity...

--
Ian.