1st thx for the quick response.

Current config is windows XP with 8 seprate non raided 1.5TB sata NTFS drives
My backup data is stored on another server with hardware raid 5 and FreeNas
this wont come into the equation.
I currently dont have a opensolaris install. The current does and donts of the
storage pool system are still unclear to me as I am RTFMing.

I do have a sata intel hardware raid controller that I have not installed on
any of my systems yet. So what I would like to do is create a new server
potentially booting it from a CF drive. And have the sata drives running as
redundant storage space.

The crux being that I dont want to loose all the data that is currently on the
drives during transformation.

I hope this is clearer and thx.