On 08.07.09 12:30, Darren J Moffat wrote:
Karl Dalen wrote:
I'm a new user of ZFS and I have an external USB drive which contains
a ZFS pool with file system. It seems that it does not get auto mounted
when I plug in the drive. I'm running osol-0811.

How can I manually mount this drive? It has a pool named rpool on it.
Is there any diagnostics commands that can be used to investigate the
contents of the pool or repair a damaged file system ?

rmformat shows that the physical name of the USB device is: /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0p0
If I try '# zpool import" I get:
  pool: rpool
    id: 3765122753259138111
 state: UNAVAIL
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:
        rpool       UNAVAIL  newer version
          c4t0d0s0  ONLINE

Did you try this:

zpool import -f rpool someothername

I think there are two reasons it won't import:
    1) It was last accessed by another system (or maybe the same
     one but it had a different hostid at the time) so you need
     to use the -f flag.
    2) There is probably another pool called rpool (the one you
    are running from), right ?

I think this pool is just too modern for the system you are trying to import it on as it is UNAVAIL due to newer version.

Here's an example:

r...@jax # mkfile -n 64m version
r...@jax # zpool create version /var/tmp/version
r...@jax # zpool upgrade version
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 10.

Pool 'version' is already formatted using the current version.
r...@jax #
r...@jax # rcp version theorem:/var/tmp

On the other host:

r...@theorem # zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS version 4.

All pools are formatted using this version.
r...@theorem # zpool import -d /var/tmp
  pool: version
    id: 2589325003567752919
 state: FAULTED
status: The pool is formatted using an incompatible version.
action: The pool cannot be imported. Access the pool on a system running newer
        software, or recreate the pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-A5
config:

        version             UNAVAIL   newer version
          /var/tmp/version  ONLINE

r...@theorem #

There's a difference in messages though, but older host in my case is running Solaris 10 U4, so it may explain it. Anyway, I think pool version is the real reason here.

Victor