True, correction accepted, covering my head with ashes in shame ;)

We do use a custom-built package of rsync-3.0.5 with a number of their standard
contributed patches applied. To be specific, these:

checksum-reading.diff
checksum-updating.diff
detect-renamed.diff
downdate.diff
fileflags.diff
fsync.diff
netgroup-auth.diff

Speaking of which, I should also suggest that after your cycles of
"incremental" or
"partial" rsync'ing are complete (which protects longterm outstanding IO against
intermediate problems), you should rerun the same rsync command adding a "-cn"
flag. This way both sides will calculate and compare checksums on their copies
of
files, and any files broken during transfer will be reported (and updated if you
remove the "-n" flag).

If by using "-cn" you find any files broken during transfer, check both
versions.
It may quite be possible that during these intensive operations the original
disk's
bits flipped. So in fact your new copy may be (or not be) the better half.

If this is a distro archive with pre-existing checksums (md5sums) available,
they
would certainly help you decide which copy is the good one (or neither one is,
as it
happens sometimes).

If this is a consumer multimedia archive with files in formats resistant to
damage
(MP3, MP4, JPEG to a lesser degree) you probably don't care much for an
occasional noise glitch or a "green frames" artefact. Or you do :)

Finally, the rsync flag "--sumfiles" (I'm not certain whether it's stock or
from some
of the patches) specifically allows you to create .rsyncsums files in each
directory
to speed up future synchronizations. Since on non-ZFS either the original file
or
its checksum file can degrade undetected, recalculating and checking the
validity
of these checksums once in a while is a good idea to detect errors crawling in.

// HTH, Jim