I wonder exactly what's going on. Perhaps it is the cache flushes that is
causing the SCSI errors
when trying to use the SSD (Intel X25-E and X25-M) disks? Btw, I'm seeing the
same behaviour on
both an X4500 (SATA/Marwell controller) and the X4240 (SAS/LSI controller).
Well, almost. On the
X4500 I didn't seen the errors printed on the console, but things behaved
strangely - and I did see
the same speedup.

If SVM silently disables cache flushes then perhaps there should be a HUGE
warning printed somewhere
(ZFS FAQ? Solaris documentation? In zpool when creating/adding devices?)
about using ZFS with SVM?

I wonder what the potential danger might be _if_ SVM disables cache flushes for
the SLOG...
Sure, that might mean a missed update on the filesystem, but since the data
disks on the pool
is raw disk devices the ZFS filesystem should be stable (sans any possibly
missed updates).
I think I can live with that. What I don't want is a corrupt 16TB zpool in case
of a power outage...

Message was edited by: pen