On 15/07/2009, at 7:18 AM, Orvar Korvar wrote:

With dedup, will it be possible somehow to identify files that are identical but has different names? Then I can find and remove all duplicates. I know that with dedup, removal is not really needed because the duplicate will just be a reference to an existing file. But nevertheless I want to keep down the file count.

Based on Jeff and Bill's talk this morning, dedup (v1.0) is initially based on the block level hashes used within zfs - so data, regardless of zfs filesystem or zvol within a pool (for those vols/fs' have dedup enabled) will keep single copies of each block that has the same hash.

I'm sure more detailed information will come as it is put back into ON and information is published on docs.sun.com and other places.

cheers,
James