You're right, from the documentation it definitely should work. Still, it
doesn't. At least not in Solaris 10. But i am not a zfs-developer, so this
should probably answered by them. I will give it a try with a recent
OpneSolaris-VM and check, wether this works in newer implementations of zfs.

> > The pool is not using the disk anymore anyway, so
> > (from the zfs point of view) there is no need to
> > offline the disk. If you want to stop the
> io-system
> > from trying to access the disk, pull it out or
> wait
> > until it gives up...
>
> Yes, there is. I don't want the disk to become online
> if the system reboots, because what actually happens
> is that it *never* gives up (well, at least not in
> more than 24 hours), and all I/O to the zpool stop as
> long as there are those errors. Yes, I know it should
> continue working. In practice, it does not (though it
> used to be much worse in previous versions of S10,
> with all I/O stopping on all disks and volumes, both
> ZFS and UFS, and usually ending in a panic).
> And the zpool command hangs, and never finished. The
> only way to get out of it is to use cfgadm to send
> multiple hardware resets to the SATA device, then
> disconnect it. At this point, zpool completes and
> shows the disk as having faulted.

Again you are right, that this is a very annoying behaviour. the same thing
happens with DiskSuite pools and ufs when a disk is failing as well, though.
For me it is not a zfs problem, but a Solaris problem. The kernel should stop
trying to access failing disks a LOT earlier instead of blocking the complete
I/O for the whole system.
I always understood zfs as a concept for hot pluggable disks. This is the way i
use it and that is why i never really had this problem. Whenever i run into
this behaviour, i simply pull the disk in question and replace it.  The time
those "hickups" affect the performance of our production eviroment have never
been longer than a couple of minutes.

Tom