Hey Bob,

MTTDL analysis shows that given normal evironmental conditions, the MTTDL of RAID-Z2 is already much longer than the life of the computer or the attendant human. Of course sometimes one encounters unusual conditions where additional redundancy is desired.

To what analysis are you referring? Today the absolute fastest you can resilver a 1TB drive is about 4 hours. Real-world speeds might be half that. In 2010 we'll have 3TB drives meaning it may take a full day to resilver. The odds of hitting a latent bit error are already reasonably high especially with a large pool that's infrequently scrubbed meaning. What then are the odds of a second drive failing in the 24 hours it takes to resiler?

I do think that it is worthwhile to be able to add another parity disk to an existing raidz vdev but I don't know how much work that entails.

It entails a bunch of work:

  http://blogs.sun.com/ahl/entry/expand_o_matic_raid_z

Matt Ahrens is working on a key component after which it should all be possible.

Zfs development seems to be overwelmed with marketing-driven requirements lately and it is time to get back to brass tacks and make sure that the parts already developed are truely enterprise- grade.

While I don't disagree that the focus for ZFS should be ensuring enterprise-class reliability and performance, let me assure you that requirements are driven by the market and not by marketing.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl