Richard Elling wrote:
That is because you had only one other choice: filesystem level copy.
With ZFS I believe you will find that snapshots will allow you to have
better control over this. The send/receive process is very, very similar
to a mirror resilver, so you are only carrying your previous process
forward into a brave new world. You'll find that send/receive is much
more flexible than broken mirrors can be.
-- richard

I always do my zpool backups by split mirrors, but I did just try using zfs send/receive to see if it's viable. Unfortunately, it craps out about 10% in with "cannot receive incremental stream: invalid backup stream", so it doesn't get me very far. I would guess from the time taken to get as far as it did, that if it had worked, it's probably going to be about 3 times slower than a resilver and split mirror. That's for a 500GB zpool with 8 filesystems and 3,500 snapshots.

--
Andrew