On 25-Jul-09, at 3:32 PM, Frank Middleton wrote:

On 07/25/09 02:50 PM, David Magda wrote:

Yes, it can be affected. If the snapshot's data structure / record is
underneath the corrupted data in the tree then it won't be able to be
reached.

Can you comment on if/how mirroring or raidz mitigates this, or tree
corruption in general? I have yet to lose a pool even on a machine
with fairly pathological problems, but it is mirrored (and copies=2).

I was also wondering if you could explain why the ZIL can't
repair such damage.

Finally, a number of posters blamed VB for ignoring a flush, but
according to the evil tuning guide, without any application syncs,
ZFS may wait up to 5 seconds before issuing a synch, and there
must be all kinds of failure modes even on bare hardware where
it never gets a chance to do one at shutdown. This is interesting
if you do ZFS over iscsi because of the possibility of someone
tripping over a patch cord or a router blowing a fuse. Doesn't
this mean /any/ hardware might have this problem, albeit with much
lower probability?

The problem is assumed *ordering*. In this respect VB ignoring flushes and real hardware are not going to behave the same.

--Toby

Thanks