On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Axelle
Apvrille<no-re...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've already sent a few posts around this issue, but haven't quite got the
> answer - so I'll try to clarify my question :)
>
> Since I have upgraded from 2008.11 to 2009.06 a new BE has been created. On
> ZFS, that corresponds to two file systems, both (strangely) mounted on /. The
> old BE corresponds to a file system of 7G, the new one to a fs of 3G.

Not quite. "beadm list" and the "USED" column of "zfs list" does not
always correspond to the sum of data size of all it's
files/directories. Do something like this:
- mkdir /a (if not's there already)
- beadm mount rpool/ROOT/opensolaris /a
- df -h /
- df -h /a
- beadm umount rpool/ROOT/opensolaris

Compare the output of df to the output of "beadm list", and you'll see
what I mean. Note that the df output should be similar to that of
"REFER" from "zfs list".

> As I fall short of space and do not need the old 2008.11 any more, I would
> like to work out how to delete it. I know I should do beadm destroy <name>.
> But before I do that I would like to understand what I am erasing in those 7G
> (makes sense, doesn't it ?).
>
> In particular, I'd like to:
> - understand what's in that old 7G ?
> - understand why the new environment only takes 3G

some of the space is probably shared (as in they refer to the same
block) between the old and new environment (/var comes to mind). If
you destroy the old BE (which is essentially a "zfs destroy"), it
might be possible that you won't be able to reclaim all that 7G space
if the new environment still refers to them.

It's actualy odd that your old BE uses more space. In my setup the new
BE always uses most space. Try runnning this:

zfs get all | grep origin

> - possibly mount the old 7G to check what's inside ?

use "beadm mount"

> I'm surprised it is said to be mounted on /

No they aren't. The "mountpoint" property merely records what the
mountpoint is or will be when the fs is mounted, and not the actual
current mountpoint. In your case rpool/ROOT/opensolaris is not mounted
anywhere. Do this

zfs get mounted,mountpoint,canmount rpool/ROOT/opensolaris
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-1

> - understand what beadm destroy actually destroys !

This fs

> rpool/ROOT/opensolaris    7.18G  5.90G  6.75G  /

which should be a zfs clone of this fs, or the other way around

--
Fajar