On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 15:20, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> A SSD slog backed by a SAS 15K JBOD array should perform much better
> than a big iSCSI LUN.

Now...yes. We implemented this pool years ago. I believe, then, the
server would crash if you had a zfs drive fail. We decided to let the
netapp handle the disk redundency. Its worked out well.

I've looked at those really nice Sun products adoringly. And a 7000
series appliance would also be a nice addition to our central NFS
service. Not to mention more cost effective than expanding our Network
Appliance (We have researchers who are quite hungry for storage and NFS
is always our first choice).

We now have quite an investment in the current implementation. Its
difficult to move away from. The netapp is quite a reliable product.

We are quite happy with zfs and our implementation. We just need to
address our backup performance and  improve it just a little bit!

We were almost lynched this spring because we encountered some pretty
severe zfs bugs. We are still running the IDR named "A wad of ZFS bug
fixes for Solaris 10 Update 6". It took over a month to resolve the
issues.

I work at a University and Final Exams and year end occur at the same
time. I don't recommend having email problems during this time! People
are intolerant to email problems.

I live in hope that a Netapp OS update, or a solaris patch, or a zfs
patch, or a iscsi patch , or something will come along that improves our
performance just a bit so our backup people get off my back!

--
Ed