Menno Lageman wrote:
Mike Gerdts wrote:

This was previously discussed...

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2008-July/019762.html

Thanks for the pointer (I remember this being discussed, but couldn't find it again). That seems to be pretty much the same as what I came up with.

The difference with Darren's proposal is that mine requires pathname arguments to start with a '.' (or '/') so the disambiguation is automatic since pool names cannot start with either a '.' or a '/'. 'zfs create tank/foo' thus refers to the dataset tank/foo, while 'zfs create ./tank/foo' refers to a dataset relative to the dataset of the current directory (rpool/export/home/ml93401/tank/foo, if the current dir was my home dir).

I think that the idea was generally well accepted.  All that is
missing is the ARC case and the code.

If someone is willing the sponsor the ARC case, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll gladly sponsor the ARC case for you if you are willing to code and test this ready for integration.

--
Darren J Moffat