Thanks for the info so far.  Yes, I understand that you can add more vdevs, but
at what cost?  With the 2TB drives costing $300 each, I wanted to get more or
less the bare minimum and then add more drives once I filled the capacity.  I
understand that raidz1 is similar to RAID5 (it can recover from a single drive
failure) and raidz2 is similar to RAID6 (recovery from up to two drive
failures).  Since I have four drives now, I would leave that with single parity
and probably the next time I added a drive, I would migrate over to double
parity.

In your scenario, once I fill up my storage capacity, I would need to add
another three drives; therefore dedicating two drives for parity (one for the
four disk set and one for the three disk set), which would be similar to my
plan of moving to double parity.  However, what about after that?  Three drives
dedicated to single parity for three different sets?  Certainly, I would get to
a point where I wouldn't want 16 drives constantly spinning and I would hope by
then either solid state disks have moved up in storage size and down in terms
of price so I could start cutting over to those.

Is there a way to expand the zpool to take advantage of the increased size of
the hardware once I add a disk on the 3ware controller?  I looked zfsadmin
document and see an autoexpand property, but that feature doesn't appear to be
support by OpenSolaris.