Hi,

One thing I miss in zfs is the ability to override an attribute value in zfs receive - something like the -o option in zfs create. This option would be particularly useful with zfs send -R to make a backup and be sure that the destination won't be mounted

zfs send -R f...@snap | ssh myhost zfs receive -d -o canmount=off backup/host

or to have compressed backups, because the compression attribute may be sent with the file system and thus is not necessarily inherited

zfs send -R f...@snap | ssh myhost zfs receive -d -o canmount=off -o compression=gzip backup/host

It is possible to use -u for the mount problem, but it is not absolutely safe until the property is actually changed. An unexpected reboot can put the backup server in maintenance mode because the file system may have the same mountpoint as another one already there.

Do I miss something? Would it be possible to have such an option?

Regards,

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann