Thanks Tim. Results are below:

# zfs list -t snapshot -r zp/nfs/esx_temp
no datasets available
# zfs get refquota,refreservation,quota,reservation zp/nfs/esx_temp
NAME             PROPERTY        VALUE      SOURCE
zp/nfs/esx_temp  refquota        none       default
zp/nfs/esx_temp  refreservation  none       default
zp/nfs/esx_temp  quota           none       default
zp/nfs/esx_temp  reservation     none       default
#

I'm 99% sure I've done something 'obvious', which is escaping me at the minute.
The filesystem only has 3 folders in it, which are all empty, so I could very
quickly destroy and recreate, but it has piqued my curiosity enough to wonder
what's happened here.