On 21.08.09 14:52, No Guarantees wrote:
Every time I attempt to import a particular RAID-Z pool, my system hangs.
Specifically, if I open up a gnome terminal and input '$ pfexec import zpool
mypool', the process will never complete and I will return to the prompt.  If
I open up another terminal, I can input a 'zpool status" and see that the
pool has been imported, but the directory has not been mounted.

This suggests that import is partially done, it is just unable to perform some final stage of the process, so 'zpool import' never returns.

So you need to do something like this to see where 'zpool import' is stuck.

1. Find PID of the hanging 'zpool import', e.g. with 'ps -ef | grep zpool'

2. Substitute PID with actual number in the below command

echo "0tPID::pid2proc|::walk thread|::findstack -v" | mdb -k

3. Do

echo "::spa" | mdb -k

4. Find address of your pool in the output of stage 3 and replace ADDR with it in the below command (it is single line):

echo "ADDR::print spa_t spa_dsl_pool->dp_tx.tx_sync_thread|::findstack -v" |
mdb -k

5. Run command in step 4 several times.

This could be the first step. Another option may be to force a crash dump.

 In other
words, there is no /mypool in the tree.  If I issue a 'zpool iostat 1' I can
see that there are constant writes to the pool, but NO reads.  If I halt the
zpool import,

What do you mean by halt here? Are you able to interrupt 'zpool import' with
CTRL-C?

and then do a 'zpool scrub', it will complete with no errors
after about 12-17 hours (it's a 5TB pool).

That sound promising.

Does 'zfs list' provide any output?

Apparently as you have 5TB of data there, it worked fine some time ago. What happened to the pool before this issue was noticed?

regards,
victor

 I have looked through this forum
and found many examples where people can't import due to hardware failure and
lack of redundancy, but none where they had a redundant setup, everything
appears okay, and they STILL can't import.  I can export the pool without any
problems. I need to do this before rebooting, otherwise it hangs on reboot, probably while trying to import the pool. I've looked around for
troubleshooting info, but the only thing that gives me any hint of what is
wrong is a core dump after issuing a 'zdb -v mypool'.  It fails with
"Assertion failed: object_count == usedobjs (0x7 == 0x6), file ../zdb.c, line
1215.  Any suggestions?