On 08/31/09 19:54, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:37:11PM -0600, Dave wrote:
Can anyone from Sun comment on the status/priority of bug ID 6761786? Seems like this would be a very high priority bug, but it hasn't been updated since Oct 2008.

Has anyone else with thousands of volume snapshots experienced the hours long import process?

It might not be direct ZFS fault. I tried to reproduce this on FreeBSD
and I was able to import pool with ~2000 ZVOLs and ~10000 ZVOL snapshots
in few minutes. Those were empty ZVOLs and empty snapshots, so keep that
in mind. All in all creating /dev/ entries might be slow in Solaris
that's why experience this behaviour when importing ZFS pool with many
ZVOLs and many ZVOL snapshots (note that every ZVOL snapshot is a device
entry in /dev/zvol/, not like with file systems where snapshots are
mounted on .zfs/snapshot/<name> lookup and not on import time).

Indeed, that (devfsadm taking a long time) is probably 6822622 'zpool import with a large number of zvols is very slow'. Alas the information available on b.o.o is extremely thin.

I ran into this slow import with lots of snapshots of ZVOLs myself some builds ago. A boot would take around 20 minutes. A good way to see if you are suffering from this problem is to temporarily comment out the line '/usr/sbin/zfs volinit' from /lib/svc/method/devices-local. Booting should be much faster then. (I have since disabled automatic snapshots on ZVOLs and my system boots in reasonable time again).

Menno
--
Menno Lageman - Sun Microsystems - http://blogs.sun.com/menno