Probably due to the lack of port multiplier support. Or perhaps they run software for monitoring that only
works on Linux.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Trevor Pretty <trevor_pre...@eagle.co.nz> wrote:

Overall, the product is what it is. There is nothing wrong with it in the right situation although they have trimmed some corners that I wouldn't have trimmed in their place. However, comparing it to a NetAPP or an EMC
is to grossly misrepresent the market.
I don't think that is what they where doing. I think they where trying to point out they had $X budget and wanted to buy YPB of storage and building their own was cheaper than buying it. No surprise there! However they don't show their R&D costs. I'm sure the designers don't work for nothing, although to their credit they do share the H/W design and have made is open source. They also mention www.protocase.com will make them for you so if you want to build your own then you have no R&D costs.

I would love to know why they did not use ZFS.

This is the equivalent of seeing
how many USB drives you can plug in as a storage solution. I've seen this
done.

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support

Trevor Pretty | +64 9 639 0652 | +64 21 666 161
Eagle Technology Group Ltd.
Gate D, Alexandra Park, Greenlane West, Epsom
Private Bag 93211, Parnell, Auckland

www.eagle.co.nz
This email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.