Please unsubscribe me

COLLIER

-----Original Message-----
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Richard Elling
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:06 AM
To: Ross
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Archiving and Restoring Snapshots

On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:55 PM, Ross wrote:

> I agree, mailing that to all Sun customers is something I think is
> likely to turn around and bite you.

Some points to help clarify the situation:

        1. There is no other way to archive a dataset than using a snapshot

        2. You cannot build a zpool on a tape

        3. The stability of the protocol is only a problem if it becomes
impossible
           to run some version of OpenSolaris on hardware that is needed to
           receive the snapshot. Given the ubiquity of virtualization and
the
x86
           legacy, I don't think this is a problem for at least the expected

lifetime
           of the storage medium.

> A lot of people are now going to use that to archive their data, and
> some of them are not going to be happy when months or years down the
> line they try to restore it and find that the 'zfs receive' just
> fails, with no hope of recovering their data.
>
> And they're not going to blame the device that's corrupted a bit,
> they're going to come here blaming Sun and ZFS.  Archiving to a
> format with such a high risk of loosing everything sounds like
> incredibly bad advice.  Especially when the article actually uses
> the term "create archives for long-term storage".
>
> Long term storage doesn't mean "storage that could break with the
> next upgrade", or "storage that will fail if even a single bit has
> been corrupted anywhere in the process".  Sun really need to decide
> what they are doing with zfs send/receive because we're getting very
> mixed messages now.

Data integrity is a problem for all archiving systems, not just ZFS.
  -- richard