Roch Bourbonnais Wrote:
""100% random writes produce around 200 IOPS with a 4-6 second pause
around every 10 seconds. "

This indicates that the bandwidth you're able to transfer
through the protocol is about 50% greater than the bandwidth
the pool can offer to ZFS. Since, this is is not sustainable, you
see here ZFS trying to balance the 2 numbers."

When I have tested using 50% reads, 60% random using iometer over NFS, I can
see the data going straight to disk due to the sync nature of NFS. But I also
see writes coming to a stand still every 10 seconds or so, which I have
attributed to the ZIL dumping to disk. Therefore I conclude that it is the
process of dumping the ZIL to disk that (mostly?) blocks writes during the
dumping. I do agree with Bob and others that suggest making the size of the
dump smaller will mask this behavior, and that seems like a good idea, although
I have not yet tried and tested it myself.

-Scott