On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Piero
Gramenzi<piero.grame...@sun-cs-italy.com> wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
>>> I do have a disk array that is providing striped LUNs to my Solaris box.
>>> Hence I'd like to simply concat those LUNs without adding another layer of
>>> striping.
>>>
>>> Is this possibile with ZFS?
>>>
>>> As far as I understood, if I use
>>>
>>>    zpool create myPool lun-1 lun-2 ... lun-n
>>>
>>> I will get a RAID0 striping where each data block is split across all "n"
>>> LUNs.
>>
>> Individual ZFS blocks don't span a vdev (lun in your case) they are on one
>> disk or another.  ZFS will stripe blocks across all available top level
>> vdevs, and as additional top level vdevs are added it will attempt to
>> rebalance as new writes come in.
>
> That's exactly what I would like to avoid.
>
> I do have several Solaris servers, each one mounting several LUNs provided
> by the same  disk-array.
>
> The disk-array is configured to provide RAID5 (7+1) protection so each LUN
> is striped across several physical disks.

So you have a disk array carved into multiple luns on the raid subsystem.

Then think about exporting 1 lun per solaris host from the array
instead of multiple.

I would have a second raid5 (7+1) array carved into identical luns
also exported 1 lun per solaris host and setup a mirror vdev on each
solaris box between those two luns so there is some redundancy there.

> If I was mounting multiple LUNs on the same Solaris box and ZFS was using
> them in RAID0 then the result is that each filesystem write would span across
> *huge* number of physical disks on the disk-array.

The 1 lun per host per array should solve that.

> This would almost certainly impacting other LUNs mounted on different
> servers.

It will anyways, so make sure the workloads are complementary.

> As the striping is already provided at hardware level by the disk-array, I
> would like to avoid to further stripe already striped devices (ie LUNs).
>
>>> If that's correct, is there a way to avoid that and get ZFS to write
>>> sequentially on the LUNs that are part of myPool?
>>
>> Why do you want to do that ?  What do you actually think it gives you,
>> other than possibly *worse* performance ?
>
> ditto.
>
> Of course the alternative is to get the disk-array providing non-striped
> LUNs but I suspect that hardware striping is way more efficient than
> software strping, no matter of good ZFS is.

Both hardware or software provide equal performance when it comes to striping.

-Ross