On Wed, September 16, 2009 10:35, cindy.swearin...@sun.com wrote:

> Detaching disks from a mirror isn't ideal but if you absolutely have
> to reuse a disk temporarily then go with mirrors. See the output below.
> You can replace disks in either configuration if you want to switch
> smaller disks with larger disks, for example.

In a small configuration, like a home NAS, like I'm running, the upgrade
issue was what drove me to mirrors over RAIDZ, despite the cost.  A
typical configuration would have 4 or 5 hot-swap bays.  I have 8, though
only interfaces for 6 of them, and two are used for boot disks in a
mirror, so my data pool is in fact 4 drives.

It was cheaper to start with a two-disk mirror, knowing that I could add a
second two-disk mirror when needed, than it would have been to invest in 4
disks right away.  And (after filling all the slots) it's cheaper to
upgrade the two disks in a mirror than the ~4 disks in a RAIDZ if I need
more space.

Despite my digital photography, and multiple housemates, I haven't filled
the current 800gb usable space (two vdevs, each a two-disk mirror of 400GB
drives).  By the time I do, I will certainly be able to afford larger
drives!

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info