ZFS is worth putting a little thought into your system when you START it.
If you want to be able easily add a couple disks at a time, just use
mirrors,  I user raidz vdevs of 4 and when i need to expand i have 2
options.  I add a new raidz vdev of 4 disks OR i replace all 4 disks in one
vdev with larger disks.  ZFS is amazing, and well worth this method of
upgrades.   Hard drives are cheap enough these days where you can buy a few
at a time, also, i can tell you from experience that when you DO grow a nas
you almost ALWAYS want to add a lot more than the last time.  My first nas
was 3 hard drives, when i added just a single disk i found this to not be
nearly enough, i've ended up always adding more each time.  I switched to
ZFS around 8 disks.  I'm very happy with it.  The snapshots and clones make
your daily usage so much nicer.

I think the ability to grow by a single disk will eventually be added to ZFS
but even without it, it is an amazing filesystem and by far the best for my
needs.
Like i said, if you put a little pre planning into your system, it won't be
a major issue, and there is NOTHING wrong with using mirrored groups.