chris bannayan wrote:
I've been comparing zfs send and receive to cp, cpio etc.. for a customer data
migration
and have found send and receive to be twice as slow as cp or cpio.

Did you run sync after the cp/cpio finished to ensure the data really is on disk ? cp and cpio do not do synchronus writes. A zfs recv isn't strictly speaking a synchronus write either but it is much closer to one in how some of the data is written out (note I'm purposely being vague here so I don't have to go into the details of how zfs recv actually works).

What else is happening on the recv pool ?

What was the exact command line used in all three cases ?
How was the time measured ?

Were you sending a lot of snapshots as well ? cp/cpio don't know anything about ZFS snapshots (and shouldn't).

--
Darren J Moffat