On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Richard Elling wrote:

Many people here would profoundly disagree with the above. There is no substitute for good backups, but a periodic scrub helps validate that a later resilver would succeed. A perioic scrub also helps find system problems early when they are less likely to crater your business. It is much better to find an issue during a scrub rather than during resilver of a mirror or raidz.

As I said, I am concerned that people would mistakenly expect that scrubbing
offers data protection. It doesn't.  I think you proved my point? ;-)

It does not specifically offer data "protection" but if you have only duplex redundancy, it substantially helps find and correct a failure which would have caused data loss during a resilver. The value substantially diminishes if you have triple redundancy.

I hope it does not offend that I scrub my mirrored pools once a week.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn