hi,

I'm using a SUN Unified Storage 7410 cluster, on which we access CIFS shares
from WinXP and Win2000 clients.

If we map a CIFS share on the 7410 to a drive letter on a winXP client, we
observe that when we do a `dir`from a dosbox  on the mapped drive, the files
are shown in a seemingly random order. The files that are in the directory are
scans (processed through about 20 high-speed human operated scanners) and they
have filenames that could look like this:

scan001.tif
scan002.tif
scan003.tif
scan004.tif
scan005.tif

The numbers represent the order that they are scanned in. The directory listing
that we get when we type dir, will show something like

scan003.tif
scan002.tif
scan005.tif
scan001.tif
scan004.tif

While if we copy the files to an NTFS or FAT32 filesystem, we will see the
files in the desired order.

Now, why is this a problem ? Obviously the 7410 cluster hasn't been around for
long. The scanners used to scan to several Windows Storage Server with an FCAL
SAN, which needed to be replaced. The data was copied from the old storage
boxes to the 7410. All of the older applications that perform batch-processing
on the files in these directories, rely on the order that the OS gives them the
filenames, which, when using CIFS to the Windows Storage Servers, was
alphabetical, but now it seems random. This frustrates the batchprocessing to
an unacceptable level. We don't have the option to rewrite the legacy
applications on the short term, especially since in many cases the source code
is no longer available.

Is there a way to force the CIFS server to serve directory listings in
alphabetical order ? Or can zfs be forced to serve directory listings to the
CIFS server in alphabetical order ?

A similar, but not quite identical issue on ext3 was discussed in this thread:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-January/071152.html

which confirms that NTFS uses a B-Tree sort before it serves a directory
listing. Also it confirms that the original poster has been able to solve the
problem by setting dir_index OFF and using tune2fs.

Is there a solution that will let the ZFS/CIFS server combo behave in a
comparable way ?

Many thanks,

Frans

[b]PS[/b] I'm aware that I may not alter system settings on the 7410's other
than through the WebUI, but using your input I hope to be able to convince SUN
Support to help us out there. I have not yet sent this problem description to
SUN Support yet, but will do so shortly.