> NO.  Snapshotting is sacred

LOL!

Ok, ok, I admit that snapshotting the whole ZFS root filesystem (yes, we have
ZFS root in production, oops) instead of creating individual snapshots for
*each* individual ZFS is against the code of good sysadmin-ing. I bow to the
developer gods and will only follow the approved gospel in the future ;)

> once you break the model where a snapshot is a point-in-time picture, all
> sorts of bad things can happen.   You've changed a fundamental assumption of
> snapshots, and this then impacts how we view them from all sorts of angles;
> it's a huge loss to trade away for a very small gain.

Hmm ... I can see how the assumption of a snapshot being unalterable could
provide some programming shortcuts and opportunities for optimization of ZFS
code. Not sure that I understand the "huge loss" perspective though. I think at
the point where I am desperately scrabbling to free 30% of my root FS held
hostage by an accidental snapshot while keeping on-line backup strategy in
tact, I won't be too worried about performance ;)

> Should you want to modify a snapshot for some reason, that's what the 'zfs
> clone' function is for.  clone your snapshot,  promote it, and make your
> modifications.

Err ... hello ... filesystem already full ... hello?