>>>>> "re" == Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com> writes:

    re> If I was to refer to Fletcher's algorithm, I would use
    re> Fletcher.  When I am referring to the ZFS checksum setting of
    re> "fletcher2" I will continue to use "fletcher2"

haha okay, so to clarify, when reading a Richard Elling post:

 fletcher2 = ZFS's broken attempt to implement a 32-bit Fletcher checksum

 Fletcher  = hypothetical correct implementation of a Fletcher checksum

In that case, for clarity I think I'll have to use the word ``broken''
a lot more often.

     >> How does the fix included S10u8 and snv_114 work?

    re> The best I can tell, the comments are changed to indicate
    re> fletcher2 is deprecated.

You are saying the ``fix'' was a change in documentation, nothing
else?  The default is still fletcher2, and there is no correct
implementation of the Fletcher checksum only the
good-enough-but-broken fletcher4, which is not the default?

Also, there is no way to use a non-broken checksum on the ZIL?

doesn't sound fixed to me.  At least there is some transparency,
though, and a partial workaround.