Shawn Joy wrote:
>If you don't give ZFS any redundancy, you risk loosing you pool if there is data corruption.

Is this the same risk for data corruption as  UFS on hardware based luns?
It's a tradeoff. ZFS has more issues with loss of connectivity to the underlying LUN than UFS, while UFS has issues with inability to detect silent data corruption due to faulty HW writing/reading. I can't quantify the actual occurrence of either to any specific number, so I can't say the risk is more or less.

If we present one LUN to ZFS and choose not to ZFS mirror or do a raidz pool of that LUN is ZFS able to handle disk or raid controllers failures on the hardware array?

No. But neither is /any/ other filesystem. At best, if you lose a (non-redundant) hardware raid controller, you may be able to recover the volume upon replacement of the raid controller. Maybe. It depends on the failure mode of the raid controller. If the LUN itself is lost (i.e. a single-disk LUN where the disk goes bad, or a HW-RAID volume where failures exceed redundancy), no filesystem in the universe will help you. I don't see any real difference between UFS and ZFS in these cases.

Does ZFS handle intermittent controller outages on the raid controllers the same as what UFS would?

No. This is an issue with ZFS, as I noted in a previous post. Intermittent outages on the SAN have a tendency to cause ZFS to mark the LUN as "failed" - remember that ZFS acts both as a file system, and as a software volume manager. Right now, I'm not aware of ways to make ZFS more resilient to a "flakey" SAN infrastructure. Since UFS has no awareness of a LUN's reliability (that would be in SVM), it will happily try to use a device whose underlying LUN has gone away, eventually reporting an inability to complete the relevant transaction to the calling software.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support