(hoping email replies OK)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> o Do zfs resources (datasets) need to be a separate item from the
>> mountpoint of the zone?
>>

> Yes, they do.  A zone's dataset is a ZFS filesystem which is "owned' by the
> zone.  Once a filesystem is zoned, it is only visible to the zone.

But it seems the zone itself cannot exist in its own zfs filesystem.

>> o Is there any problem with making a pool the mountpoint of a zone?
>>

> What exactly do you want to do (and why)?  Create a pool per zone?

What I hoped to do, the way I thought this worked, is that you can create
a zsf file system, with a size limit, make it the mountpoint of a zone, then
the zone has all control to do what it wishes.  So, I made the dataset
equal to the mountpoint.  This was actually allowed and I was able to
install and boot the zone.  When I rebooted the system, however,
it came up in single user mode complaining that the (now) zoned
zfs filesystem had files in it.

The server is a long ways from home so I don't want to repeat that.

OK, thanks everyone, I think I understand now that I can give a zone
a zfs filesystem in a way similar to other file system resources, and
that I can mount a zone into a zfs file system created in the global
zone.

Best,
Hank

--
Hank Ratzesberger
Santa Barbara, CA

 The best way to reach me is to knock on my door and yell,
 Dude!  What the Hell? I've been trying to reach you