On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@sun.com> wrote:

> Prasad Unnikrishnan wrote:
>
>> Add the new disk - start writing new blocks to that disk, instead of
>> waiting to re-layout all the stipes. And when the disk is not active, do
>> slow/safe copy on write to balance all the blocks?
>>

> Conceptually, yes, doing a zpool expansion while the pool is live isn't
> hard to map out, conceptually.
>
> As always, the devil is in the details. In this case, the primary problem
> I'm having is maintaining two different block mapping schemes (one for the
> old disk layout, and one for the new disk layout) and still being able to
> interrupt the expansion process.  My primary problem is that I have to keep
> both schemes in memory during the migration, and if something should happen
> (i.e. reboot, panic, etc) then I lose the current state of the zpool, and
> everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

In a way I think the key of this working is the code for device removal,
because when you are removing a device, you take from one and put on
another, it should be much easier to use this code and move 1/N of existing
data to a new device using functions from device removal modifications, i
could be wrong but it may not be as far as people fear. Device removal was
mentioned in the Next word for ZFS video.

James Dickens
http://uadmin.blogspot.com
jamesd...@gmail.com