opensolaris-zfs-disc...@mlists.thewrittenword.com said:
> Is it really pointless? Maybe they want the insurance RAIDZ2 provides. Given
> the choice between insurance and performance, I'll take insurance, though it
> depends on your use case. We're using 5-disk RAIDZ2 vdevs.
> . . .
> Would love to hear other opinions on this.

Hi again Albert,

On our Thumper, we use 7x 6-disk raidz2's (750GB drives).  It seems a good
compromise between capacity, IOPS, and data protection.  Like you, we are
afraid of the possibility of a 2nd disk failure during resilvering of these
large drives.  Our usage is a mix of disk-to-disk-to-tape backups, archival,
and multi-user (tens of users) NFS/SFTP service, in roughly that order
of load.  We have had no performance problems with this layout.

Regards,

Marion