On Oct 16, 2009, at 1:01 AM, Henrik Johansson wrote:

My guess would be that this is due to fragmentation during some time when the filesystem might have been close to full, but it is still pretty terrible numbers even with 0.5M files in the structure. And while this is very bad I would at least expect the ARC to cache data and make a second run go faster:

I solved this, the second run was also slow since the metadata part of the ARC was to small, raising arc_meta_limit helped, and turning off atime also helped much since this directory seem to be terrible fragmented. With these changes the ARC helps so that the second goes as fast as it should. The fragmentation can be solved by a copy if I would want to keep the files. I wrote some more details about what I did if anyone is interested:

http://sparcv9.blogspot.com/2009/10/curious-case-of-strange-arc.html

I'll make sure to keep some more free space in my pools at all times now ;)

Regards

Henrik
http://sparcv9.blogspot.com