Hello John,

On Oct 30, 2009, at 9:03 PM, John wrote:

Hi,

On an idle server, when I do a recursive '/usr/bin/ls' on a folder, I see a lot of disk activity. This makes sense because the results (metadata/data) may not have been cached. When I do a second "ls" on the same folder right after the first one finished, I do see disk activity again.

Can someone explain why the results are not cached in ARC?

You would have disk access again unless you have turned set atime to off for that filesystem. I did posted something similar a few days back and write a summary of the ARC-part of my findings: http://sparcv9.blogspot.com/2009/10/curious-case-of-strange-arc.html

Here is the whole thread:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=430385

If that does not explain it you should probably provide some more data, how many files, some ARC statistics etc.

Regards
Henrik

Henrik
http://sparcv9.blogspot.com