On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Dennis Clarke <dcla...@blastwave.org> wrote:

>>> Terrific! Can't wait to read the man pages / blogs about how to use
>>> it...
>>
>> Just posted one:
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/en_US/entry/zfs_dedup
>>
>> Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for
>> follow-on posts.
>
> Looking at FIPS-180-3 in sections 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 I was thinking that the
> major leap from SHA256 to SHA512 was a 32-bit to 64-bit step.
>
> If the implementation of the SHA256 ( or possibly SHA512 at some point )
> algorithm is well threaded then one would be able to leverage those
> massively multi-core Niagara T2 servers. The SHA256 hash is based on six
> 32-bit functions whereas SHA512 is based on six 64-bit functions. The CMT
> Niagara T2 can easily process those 64-bit hash functions and the
> multi-core CMT trend is well established. So long as context switch times
> are very low one would think that IO with a SHA512 based de-dupe
> implementation would be possible and even realistic. That would solve the
> hash collision concern I would think.
>
> Merely thinking out loud here ...

And my out loud thinking on this says that the crypto accelerator on a
T2 system does hardware acceleration of SHA256.

NAME
     n2cp - Ultra-SPARC T2 crypto provider device driver

DESCRIPTION
     The  n2cp  device  driver  is  a  multi-threaded,   loadable
     hardware driver supporting hardware assisted acceleration of
     the following cryptographic operations, which are built into
     the Ultra-SPARC T2 CMT processor:

       DES:   CKM_DES_CBC, CKM_DES_ECB
       DES3:  CKM_DES3_CBC, CKM_DES3_ECB,
       AES:   CKM_AES_CBC, CKM_AES_ECB, CKM_AES_CTR
       RC4:   CKM_RC4
       MD5:   KM_MD5, CKM_MD5_HMAC, CKM_MD5_HMAC_GENERAL,
                CKM_SSL3_MD5_MAC
       SHA-1: CKM_SHA_1, CKM_SHA_1_HMAC,
              CKM_SHA_1_HMAC_GENERAL, CKM_SSL3_SHA1_MAC
       SHA-256:CKM_SHA256, CKM_SHA256_HMAC,
              CKM_SHA256_HMAC_GENERAL

According to page 35 of
http://www.slideshare.net/ramesh_r_nagappan/wirespeed-cryptographic-acceleration-for-soa-and-java-ee-security,
a T2 CPU can do 41 Gb/s of SHA256.  The implication here is that this
keeps the MAU's busy but the rest of the core is still idle for things
like compression, TCP, etc.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/