On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Mario Goebbels wrote:

Did you disable 'atime' updates for your filesystem? Otherwise the file
access times need to be periodically updated and this would happen may
every 15-30 seconds.

Not disabled. But 20MB worth of metadata updates while the system practically does nothing? Only real things happening is a video playbacking and XChat logging relatively few things to disk.

20MB would indeed be quite a lot. On one of my systems, 'iotop' periodically shows up to 8504 KB of writen data, and no reads. This is for the root pool. I have a pretty good idea of where that 8504 KB of data comes from, and it is due to a daemon I have running. On another system (which still uses UFS root, but with most data in a ZFS pool), only a few tiny writes (biggest 810KB).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn