On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Dennis Clarke wrote:

That works well.

You know what ... I'm a schmuck.  I didn't grab a time based seed first.
All those files with random text .. have identical twins on the filesystem
somewhere. :-P  damn

That is one reason why I asked. Failure to get a good seed is the most common problem. Using the time() system call is no longer good enough if multiple processes are somehow involved. It is useful to include additional information such as PID and microseconds. Reading a few characters from /dev/random to create the seed is even better.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn