Carson Gaspar wrote:
On 10/26/09 5:33 PM, p...@paularcher.org wrote:
I can't find much on gam_server on Solaris (couldn't find too much on it at all, really), and port_create is apparently a system call. (I'm not a
developer--if I can't write it in BASH, Perl, or Ruby, I can't write
it.)
I appreciate the suggestions, but I need something a little more
pret-a-porte.

Your Google-fu needs work ;-)

Main Gamin page: http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/index.html

Actually, I found this page, which has this gem: "At this point Gamin is
fairly tied to Linux, portability is not a primary goal at this stage but
if you have portability patches they are welcome."

Much has changed since that text was written, including support for the event completion framework (port_create() and friends, introduced with Sol 10) on Solaris, thus the recommendation for gam_server / gamin.

$ nm /usr/lib/gam_server | grep port_create
[458]   | 134589544|         0|FUNC |GLOB |0    |UNDEF  |port_create

The patch for port_create has never gone upstream however, while gvfs uses glib's gio, which has backends for inotify, solaris, fam and win32.

--
James Andrewartha