On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Tim Cook wrote:

My personal thought would be that it doesn't really make sense to even have it, at least for readzilla.  In theory, you always want the SSD to be full, or nearly full, as it's a cache.  The whole point of TRIM, from my understanding, is to speed up the drive by zeroing out unused blocks so they next time you try to write to them, they don't have to be cleared, then written to.  When dealing with a cache, there shouldn't (again in theory) be any free blocks, a warmed cache should be full of data.

This thought is wrong because SSDs actually have many more blocks that they don't admit to in their declared size. The "extreme" or "enterprise" units will have more extra blocks. These extra blocks are necessarily in order to replace failing blocks, and to spread the write load over many more underlying blocks, and thereby decrease the chance of failure. If a FLASH block is to be overwritten, then the device can reassign the old FLASH block to the spare pool, and update its tables so that a different FLASH block (from the spare pool) is used for the write.

Logzilla is kind of in the same boat, it should constantly be filling and emptying as new data comes in.  I'd imagine the TRIM would just add unnecessary overhead.  It could in theory help there by zeroing out blocks ahead of time before a new batch of writes come in if you have a period of little I/O.  My thought is it would be far more work than it's worth, but I'll let the coders decide that one.

The "problem" with TRIM is that its goal is to decrease write latency at low/medium writing loads, or at high load for a short duration. It does not do anything to increase maximum sustained write performance since the maximum write performance then depends on how fast the device can erase blocks. Some server environments will write to the device at close to 100% most of the time, and especially for relatively slow devices like the X25-E.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn