Hi everybody,

I am considering moving my data pool from a two disk (10krpm) mirror
layout to a three disk raidz-1. This is just a single user workstation
environment, where I mostly perform compile jobs. From past experiences
with raid5 I am a little bit reluctant to do so, as software raid5 has a
major impact on write performance.

Is this similar with raidz-1 or does the zfs stack work around the
limitations that come with raid5 into play? How big would the penalty be?

As an alternative I could swap the drives for bigger ones - but these
would probably then be 7.2k rpm discs, because of costs.

Any experiences or thoughts?

TIA,
Thomas